Saturday, September 25, 2010

FAQ - Revised

How do you pick players?

Players are selected based on their Career WAR with a given teams. There must be at leats three men covering each position, and each of them must qualify at that position.

So... If you hate WAR as a stat, one of two things will happen: Either you'll hate what I'm doing here - OR - upon seeing the great results that WAR gives, you might revise your opinion about it! :)

How do you treat steroids?

Since players are seleceted based on WAR, which rates players relative to the League Average, much of the inflated offenses end up compensated for. Beyond that, I give no consideration to steroids use.

Why no minimum number of years?

Back when I relied more heavily on *OPS+, a rate stat, I needed to have a minimum number of years (I assumed 5) on the teams to avoid having to comapre a 1 or 2 year mercenary with a great *OPS+ to a guy who played 10 good years with a lower *OPS+. Because the players career is summed up in terms of overall WINS i no longer need to do that. If one player's 2 great years were worth more wins than another player's 10 good one's or someone else's 20 mediocre ones? Then he gets the pick. Otherwise, not. WAR gives a perfectly objective way of determinign if one player's peak value can in fact outwieght a lessser player's career value.

You’re crazy! How can you pick [this guy] and not [that guy]?!

Players are selected based on maximizing the teams WAR. If you don;t like WAR, you're bound to take issue with some of my results. Overall I think even the worst of the teams are still broadly defensible. But you are free to have your own opinion. The more I see of WAR, the more I like it.

BACK